For 50 years, Family Matters of Greater Washington owned and operated Camp Moss Hollow, affectionately called “The Hollow,” located on 401 acres of incredibly beautiful woods, nestled in the foothills of the Shenandoah Valley in Markham, Virginia.
Over the years we have experienced rising costs, and the maintenance and staffing of the camp became unsustainable. In 2018, Family Matters restructured this popular camp program away from Camp Moss Hollow, to one which sends youths enrolled in our behavioral health program to area camps located in Maryland and Virginia. With this new model, Family Matters’ is to able to have a wider impact by sponsoring a greater number of children over time in a more efficient manner.
Our goal is to provide therapeutic experiences that promote positive behavioral, emotional and social changes in the youth’s lives.
The “Send a Kid to Camp” program directly benefits families that would not otherwise be able to afford to provide their children with the opportunity to attend camp. This youth development program is specially designed to enhance educational achievement, expand horizons and increase self-worth and self-esteem. Our hope is that the positive environment provided through the camping experience — along with the respite from daily stressors that are often encountered in the home and school — will have a lasting impact on the choices our youth make throughout the rest of their lives.
Who are our campers?
Here’s the new program’s criteria for campers
Eligible youth for the program are:
- Ages 7 to 14
- Able to manage hygiene/toileting needs
- Siblings of youth currently receiving behavioral health services
- Children of adult clients currently receiving behavioral health services
- Youth displaying emotional and/or behavioral dysregulation
Youth with a history of the following are not eligible to participate at this time:
- Absconding behaviors
- Fire setting
- Animal cruelty
- Deviant sexual behavior
- Demonstration of violent and/or aggressive behaviors within the last 60 days
Our goal is to provide therapeutic experiences that promote positive behavioral, emotional and social changes in the youths’ lives. Therefore, we will administer a pre- and post-survey to capture relevant outcome data. Outcomes measured shall include:
- Friendship Skills (making friends and maintaining relationships)
- Independence (relying less on adults and other people for solving problems and for their day-to-day activities)
- Family Citizenship (encouraging attributes important to being a member of a family)
- Responsibility (learning to be accountable for their own actions and mistakes)
- Problem-Solving Confidence (believing they have abilities to resolve problems)
How You Can Help
Your contribution to the Send a Kid to Camp campaign will directly benefit families that would not otherwise be able to afford to provide these children with the opportunity to attend camp. It is a youth development program designed to enhance educational achievement, expand horizons and increase self-worth and self-esteem for at-risk youth. The positive environment and respite this program provides will have a lasting impact on the choices campers make throughout the rest of their lives.
We are grateful to our community of Send a Kid to Camp donors for providing kids with the opportunity to just be kids and have fun at camp. Many of the children who attend Camp Moss Hollow in the past have never traveled outside the city. If you have any questions about the Send a Kid to Camp campaign, please contact our Development Office at 202-289-1510 ext.188 or email email@example.com.
Support the campaign today and Send a Kid to Camp!